- Erika (Canada) – Mediator
- Deborah (USA) – Party 1
- Stephen (United Kingdom) – Party 2
- Giuseppe (USA) – Coach
THIS CASE IS A NUTSHELL
2 siblings need to choose within 7 days a nursing home for their 88-year-old mother.
She gave them 2 options: a nursing home in Hawaii, and a cheaper nursing home in Montana. And she will pay for either option.
If the siblings can reach an agreement, they will share 50-50 their mother’s inheritance after she passes away. Otherwise, they will get nothing. All her money will be donated to a hospital.
The 2 siblings live in different states and have not been in close contact for years. And their current financial needs are quite different.
LESSONS LEARNED (Discussed During the Debriefing Session)
- Confidentiality – How to best address this issue in a way that is short and clear.
- When mediating online, what else should a mediator say at the beginning (which is not necessary to say face-to-face)?
- Why in online mediation it is crucial for a mediator to have a Plan B, if they parties experience technical difficulties.
- Why the mediator’s opening statement can be different, depending on the parties and their case.
- Why in online mediation the mediator’s skills and experience are much more important than the technology.
WATCH THE ENTIRE SIMULATION
To watch the 2-hour video of the entire simulation in streaming on your PC, Mac or mobile device for only $5 click here
WATCH MORE SIMULATIONS
Take a look at all other simulations we have video recorded, so you can also learn by watching other mediators in action – click here
WANT TO PRACTICE AND SHARPEN YOUR MEDIATION SKILLS FOR FREE?
Read our FAQ page and then fill out our Online Registration Form